Search This Blog

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Play it again, Samwise!

5 years ago, I decided to embark on a great endeavor to see what would happen if I analyzed a text the way Jews analyze the Torah.  I chose Tolkien's epic The Lord of the Rings.  I read a chapter a week (sometimes two), found a meaning in the text and wrote a short essay about it.  I was thrilled with the result, which is the website you have before you.

Now, this year I will do it again.  Since our first go around,  I've moved from California back to Massachusetts, changed jobs and apartments seemingly dozens of times, and received two Master's degrees, one in Jewish Education and one in Jewish Studies.  But I still have this passion for text analysis and bringing meaning to the 'mundane'.  So here we are.

OK, enough introduction.  The cycle begins September 22nd, which is Frodo and Bilbo's birthday.



(However - keep an eye out for a bonus preview post linking a key scene in the LOTR movies to Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year, which is right around the corner...)

No comments:

Post a Comment