Search This Blog

Saturday, February 1, 2014

One book down, two to go: Reflection

So here we are, one third of the way through this.  I wanted to share some reflections I've had so far.

First:  I feel I've proven my initial goal, that this is even possible.  There's enough content in Lord of the Rings to make this worth it.  Behind the scenes, I've had at least two ideas for each chapter - sometimes more.  And the posts are always trimmed down versions of my original.  In short, there's a lot to talk about.  I could certainly continue doing this for years.

One thing I've learned, I understand the point of view of those who pray every day.  I know from talking to them that they don't always feel what they wanted to feel (God, peace, connection, etc), but praying makes them open to that feeling if it is available to them.  If they pray 3 times a day and get the feeling once every 5 times, that's once every two days, and some days twice!  Either way, they open themselves to the experience.

Not every week have I wanted to write.  Sometimes I'm busy, sometimes the text doesn't lend itself to deeper readings, sometimes I just don't feel like it.  But forcing myself to do it every week has made me open to the possibilities I'll really be able to get something.  And then there are the weeks I didn't want to, but as I wrote I really got into it.  This most recent one is a good example.  Originally I was just going to decry "True colors."  But then my thoughts turned to the justice system and the 'criminal record' and I saw a connection and ran with it.  That wouldn't have happened if I didn't just plow forward...

That's it - just some thoughts as the first book ends.  The Two Towers posts begin tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment